The World News Media

The Syrian boy everyone’s talking about: heart-wrenching video of child pulled from rubble...

TheWorldNewsOrg

• Views 698
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The primary manipulation, as I understand it, is that the person who is credited with taking the picture is supposedly just interested in humanitarian issues. The problem was that it was quickly shown

On 8/20/2016 at 11:18 PM, The Librarian said:

His older brother died from his injuries yesterday. ;-(

14082568_1722700741317048_1298427077_n.j

I can't stop thinking about this child. While awash in water in the shower this morning, broken arm wrapped in plastic, I thought of how precious water has been in Aleppo and that Omran has known nothing but bombing his entire life. He lost his big brother in this one. Why doesn't every church, synagogue, mosque, temple, monastery put a picture of this child (and the drowned little refugee found on the beach) at the front of their church until these people are helped? I am putting it on Facebook because we have to look. What can I do? I don't know but I need to acknowledge Omran's reality and all, here and there, whose reality is so different from mine

Nancy Camden

• 1 month later...

The primary manipulation, as I understand it, is that the person who is credited with taking the picture is supposedly just interested in humanitarian issues. The problem was that it was quickly shown that he had just previously been photographed with a person beheading a young Palestinian, probably 11 years old. He is actually mixed up with some wacky extremists. But this actually may be true of the "White Hats" in general. What has happened is that there are a lot of people who push for war, when they believe that support for that war can include millions of dollars in aid from the United States. In this case, there are thousands of contractors and political hawks that also want war, and they are anxious to get credibility for the war. That credibility at one time in the recent past had to come from media support, but the media is no longer trusted, because they are often sequestered into "safe" hotels where the war stories are fed to them from military insiders. However, even the media has turned against this practice because it has so often led to mistaken reporting and gullibility.

So the new "trusted source" for warmongering has become humanitarian aid agencies who are willing to work with the military. What is missed however, is that organizations such as USAID which attempts to present itself this way, is actually a U.S. organization with a Department of Transitional Initiatives which has been linked to several "regime change" programs often making use of social media disinformation. (Massive programs making use of fake accounts, etc.)

This is also a partial explanation for the talk about a "no fly zone" in Syria. It is sometimes called a "safe" zone, or no-bombing zone, and it sounds excellent in theory. But every U.S.-backed "no fly zone" has historically been a euphemism for war that is intended to end in regime change. 

Naturally, I have no stake at all in trying to figure out what is right or wrong when it comes to regime change anywhere. It almost always results in more problems than it solves, and I always hope for peace on earth and goodwill towards men. But my only point here is that manipulation is common when it comes to talking a nation into giving its tacit backing to war. But we shouldn't be naive about how clever these methods can become. PR groups, and humanitarian groups are as likely to be involved these days as politicians and media.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.