The World News Media

Former Minnesota Viking Asher Allen plenty busy with ministry, dairy council

Guest Kurt

Vikings draft pick Asher Allen (30) watches drills during training camp in Mankato Monday August 3, 2009.  (Pioneer Press: Chris Polydoroff)

Vikings draft pick Asher Allen (30) watches drills during training camp in Mankato Monday August 3, 2009. 

Questions with Bob …

Asher Allen had been a decent cornerback for the Vikings when he retired unexpectedly in May 2012. He had suffered a couple of concussions, but he was only 24 years old and walked away from a $615,000 salary.

The Vikings moved on without him and thoughts of Allen faded — until last week. He resurfaced in a blurb from the Midwest Dairy Association, for whom he writes a blog. He also has some interesting factoids about his life on the group’s web site: “I am currently volunteering my time as a full-time minister of Jehovah’s Witnesses. I have always enjoyed eating healthy and exercising. I love fishing, reading, cooking, golf and photography, and what’s best is spending time with my wife, Brittany, in all those activities.”

I checked in with Allen recently.

BS: What have you been doing since you retired from football?

AA: We’ve been doing the blog and when I was playing I was doing a lot with the Dairy Council, such as speaking engagements and things like that. I kept that going and came out with an idea of doing a blog, writing about my passion for food and exercise. My wife and I are sharing in volunteer ministry work in the Chanhassen area.

BS: Do you miss football?

AA: Yeah. That’s natural to say. You miss something you did for 16 years. It was fun watching this season. I’ve seen it from a different angle.

BS: Was it tough leaving a $615,000 salary for the 2012 season on the table?

AA: For my wife and I, it was a decision we came to. God tells us he’ll provide all the things we need when we put him first in our lives. We’ve definitely seen it in our lives. We had that feeling inside we wanted to do more. Being able to leave at that time was best for us.

BS: Did you retire because of concussions?

AA: It was part of the equation. I try not to make that the theme of why I left. I was 24 years old and getting out of bed a little differently. We wanted the quality of our lives. I wanted to have a body where I could do more. When I played the game I did it for the love of the game and for fans and the community. We wanted to give back to the community in a different way. We study the Bible with people and decided for our love of God and love of neighbors we wanted to give back to neighbors.

BS: How did you get involved with the Midwest Dairy Association?

AA: I always was in the Vikings’ kitchen talking with chefs for the team. I’d get recipes for them. They knew I had a love for food. The team already had communication with the Midwest Dairy Association. They thought it was a good fit. I’ve been doing it for the last four years.

BS: I noticed in your biography you’re a Jehovah’s Witness. While you’re visiting with people, have you been recognized as a former Viking?

AA: You know what? If I walked around with (jersey number) 21 on my chest, they probably would. People look at me and say, “You don’t play football. You’re too small.”

BS: Do you use your former status as a football player to your advantage?

AA: No, I don’t. When we go door to door we try to emulate the example of Jesus Christ. We focus on the kingdom of God and that’s what we try to concentrate on.

BS: Do you still follow the Vikings?

AA: Oh, man, yes. I’m still in contact with a lot of my teammates and coach (Leslie) Frazier. I have a lot of respect for the Vikings’ organization. That is really a class organization.

BS: Is the door completely shut on playing football again?

AA: You know what? My wife and I chose to make our ministry our career. I would say it would be something I’d never turn to.

Source

Vikings Message Board.Com

Got 4 Minutes for Fitness

• Views 1.7k
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Popular Days

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.