The World News Media

1958 Jehovah's Witnesses New York Yankee Stadium Convention

Guest Kurt

One sister says:
My mother was not a Jehovah's Witness but she wanted to go to the assembly so bad, so we all piled in an old Ford and drove to New York City. Driving that old car was an adventure in itself - how we made it, I'll never know.  I was very little but I still recall many things. The stadium was packed solid with people, yet you could hear a pin drop through all the sessions. I remember my mother saying: "I can't believe this - people of all colors, nationalities hugging each other and very happy!!! (something unheard of in those days) We attended every day of that assembly and to see all these people under one roof was unbelievable. I remember walking up the sidewalk towards the stadium... There was a large, old jail that went for blocks and the prisoners were waving and yelling out to us. I just walked along with my mouth open!!! Yankee Stadium was full, with not even one seat left, so an overflow had been prepared at the Polo grounds. Both were filled to capacity. Thousand of people from all over the world, dressed in their native clothing could be seen from our seats. We were in awe as we watched the "sea" of color, both skin and clothing - it was just amazing !!! Large tents with brothers preparing food in huge vats, lined the edges of both stadiums. They worked so hard yet were so happy to do so. Roast beef dinners, chicken, mashed potatoes and vegetables - the works !!! Even dessert and fruit !!! The cost was next to nothing. Actually, pennies!!! Something I will never, ever forget. Thank you for posting such a wonderful, wonderful video of my dear memories :)
Oh yesss - I'm happy to say all those passengers in that ole '40's Ford  eventually became servants of Jehovah!! I'm happy you enjoyed my account. I send warm greetings to all.

• Views 3.8k
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.