The World News Media

Sainsbury's apologises after customer refused black pudding because chef was Jehovah's Witness

Guest Nicole

Guest Nicole

Supermarket giant Sainsbury's has been forced to apologise to a customer who was told he couldn't have black pudding with his full English because the chef was a Jehovah's Witness.

Customer Alan MacKay had popped into the store's café in Arnold, Nottingham, for breakfast after dropping his wife off at work.

But he was shocked when he was told he couldn't have black pudding - which is made of animal blood and fat - because of the chef's religious views.

Jehovah's Witnesses regard blood as sacrosanct, and won't eat an animal unless it has been bled according to their beliefs.

Mr MacKay said he was given a full refund by the store, and that he returned home to make his own breakfast of crumpets, egg and beans.

I know it's only black pudding but it's a proper northern British dish. I won't have people telling me that I can't have it when I was really looking forward to it.

Sainsbury's employed her as a chef and it was on the menu, you can't then turn around and say I'm not cooking it for religious reasons.

Black pudding is a traditional British thing and I'm fed up of us losing our identity.

– ALAN MACKAY

Sainsbury's has since apologised for the confusion and confirmed the chef is a Jevovah's Witness.

A spokeswoman said there had been a mix-up between the two kitchen staff and another worker had misunderstood the chef who asked them to prepare the black pudding.

Source: http://www.itv.com/news/2016-03-24/sainsburys-apologises-to-customer-who-was-refused-black-pudding-due-to-cooks-religion/

stream_img.jpg

stream_img.jpg

• Views 632
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Posted Images

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.