The World News Media

"It is enough! Now, O Jehovah, take my life away."

Bible Speaks

"It is enough! Now, O Jehovah, take my life away."—1 Ki. 19:4.

You prove that you are “in the faith” when you do all you can for Jehovah

“TAKE MY LIFE AWAY”

(a) What negative feelings did Elijah have? (b) Why might Elijah have felt as he did?

The prophet Elijah was loyal to Jehovah and had strong faith. Yet, at one point he felt so disappointed that he asked Jehovah to put him to death, saying: “It is enough! Now, O Jehovah, take my life away.” (1 Kings 19:4) Those who have never felt so desperate might think that Elijah’s prayer was just “wild talk.” (Job 6:3) But his feelings were real. Note that rather than becoming angry with Elijah, Jehovah helped him.

Why did Elijah have such feelings? Shortly before this, Elijah performed a miracle that proved that Jehovah is the true God. After this miracle, 450 prophets of Baal were executed. (1 Kings 18:37-40) Elijah likely hoped that God’s people would now return to pure worship, but that did not happen. Wicked Queen Jezebel sent a message to Elijah that she was going to kill him.

Fearing for his life, Elijah ran south from Israel across the land of Judah into the wilderness.—1 Kings 19:2-4.

While Elijah was alone in the wilderness, he began to think that his work as a prophet was for nothing. He told Jehovah: “I am no better than my forefathers.” He felt as useless as the dust and bones of his dead ancestors. In his opinion, he was a failure and had no value to Jehovah or to anyone else.

How did God show Elijah that He still valued him?

But the Almighty had a different opinion of Elijah. Elijah remained valuable to Jehovah, and he made sure that Elijah knew that. God sent an angel to strengthen him.

Jehovah also gave Elijah food and drink that would help him endure his 40-day trip south to Mount Horeb. When Elijah felt that no other Israelites had remained faithful to Jehovah, God kindly corrected his wrong idea. Notice, too, that Jehovah gave Elijah new assignments, which he accepted. Elijah was helped by Jehovah, and as a result, he had new energy and returned to his work as a prophet.—1 Kings 19:5-8, 15-19.

How has Jehovah strengthened you?

You can use Elijah’s experience to confirm that you are “in the faith” and to develop a positive attitude. First, think of the ways Jehovah has supported you. Has an elder or another mature Christian given you help at the right time? (Galatians 6:2)

Have the Bible, our Christian publications, and the meetings helped you to feel that Jehovah cares about you? The next time you are helped in one of these ways, think about where this help really comes from, and remember to thank Jehovah in prayer.—Psalm 121:1, 2.

Our value to Jehovah does not depend on how much we do for him

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/402014204?q=1+kings+19%3A4&p=par

IMG_2696.JPG

• Views 1.1k
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"It is enough! Now, O Jehovah, take my life away."—1 Ki. 19:4. You prove that you are “in the faith” when you do all you can for Jehovah “TAKE MY LIFE AWAY”  (a) What negative feelings

Posted Images

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.