• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yb1944_E.pdf

Funny to look at the names of Bethelites on page 34-38: Charles Russell Coultrup (p.35) Charles Russell Hessler (p.36) Charles Taze Russell Peterson (p.37) Rutherford was sa

In every way possible, especially dress and grooming, I seek to emulate @The Librarian

Posted Images

Funny to look at the names of Bethelites on page 34-38:

• Charles Russell Coultrup (p.35)
  • Charles Russell Hessler (p.36)
  • Charles Taze Russell Peterson (p.37)

Rutherford was said to have complained to MacMillan as early as 1918 or 1919 that he inherited a Russellite "cult." The men were known for dressing in black coats like his, wearing beards just like his, etc. He said they were "worshipping" Russell.

*** jv chap. 6 p. 65 A Time of Testing (1914-1918) ***
Others, on account of their deep respect for Brother Russell, seemed more concerned with trying to copy his qualities and develop a sort of cult around him.

Oddly, one way to counter it was to suggest that beards be cut or you lose privileges. I heard from family members who go back to Russell's time (but can't verify yet) that a suggestion went out in the 1930's that Witnesses should wear more blue instead of "Russell" black at some of the assemblies. The Watch Tower publications reported that the audience at the 1942 St. Louis assembly looked like a "sea of blue."

1 hour ago, JW Insider said:

*** jv chap. 6 p. 65 A Time of Testing (1914-1918) ***
Others, on account of their deep respect for Brother Russell, seemed more concerned with trying to copy his qualities and develop a sort of cult around him.

In every way possible, especially dress and grooming, I seek to emulate @The Librarian

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.