The World News Media

Know Your History of the Bible? – Babylon and Cyrus the Persian – ?⚔️???⚔️?

Bible Speaks

Babylon and Cyrus the Persian – Bible History! – Fact! 

?????????

On this day (29th October) 539 BCE the Persian king Cyrus II walked triumphantly into Babylon, the ancient Mesopotamian capital and seat of a huge empire that straddled the middle east. Iranian communities around the world mark this day as “Cyrus the Great Day” or “Cyrus Day”, ??? ????? October 29 (7th of Aban ????)

?????????

After taking Babylon, Cyrus proclaimed himself "King of Babylon... king of the four corners of the world" in the famous Cyrus Cylinder. The text of the cylinder portrays the victorious Cyrus addressing the Babylonian god Marduk, and how Cyrus had improved the lives of Babylonians, repatriated displaced peoples, and restored cult sanctuaries and temples. Some assert that the cylinder represents a form of human rights charter, whilst other historians place it in the context of a long-standing Mesopotamian tradition of new rulers beginning their reigns with declarations of reforms. Cyrus the Great's dominions comprised the largest empire the world had ever seen. 

?????????

These 2 images: a photograph of The tomb of Cyrus the Great, founder of the Achaemenid Empire, at Pasargadae; and detail of bas relief at the Archaemenid city of Persepolis. Both located in Fars Province, central Iran, and both UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Learn more here on the Bible and Cyrus the Persian -

?????????

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200003447?q=cyrus+the+persian&p=par

?????????

Development of the Medo-Persian Empire. (MAP, Vol. 2, p. 327) Like the Medes, the Persians seem to have been ruled by several noble families. One of these families produced the Achaemenian dynasty of kings, the royal line from which came the founder of the Persian Empire, Cyrus the Great. Cyrus, who, according to Herodotus and Xenophon, was born of a Persian father and a Median mother, united the Persians under his leadership. (Herodotus, I, 107, 108; Cyropaedia, I, ii, 1) Till then the Medes had been dominant over the Persians, but Cyrus gained a swift victory over Median King Astyages and captured his capital city of Ecbatana (550 B.C.E.). (Compare Da 8:3, 20.) The Median Empire thus came under the control of the Persians.

?????????

Although the Medes continued subservient to the Persians during the remainder of the Achaemenian dynasty, there can be no doubt as to the dual nature of the empire that resulted. Thus, the book History of the Persian Empire (p. 37) says: “The close relationship between Persians and Medes was never forgotten. Plundered Ecbatana remained a favorite royal residence. Medes were honored equally with Persians; they were employed in high office and were chosen to lead Persian armies. Foreigners spoke regularly of the Medes and Persians; when they used a single term, it was ‘the Mede.’”

?????????

Under Cyrus, the Medo-Persian Empire expanded farther W, reaching to the Aegean Sea as a result of the Persian victory over King Croesus of Lydia and the subjugation of certain Greek coastal cities. His major conquest, however, came in 539 B.C.E. when Cyrus, at the head of a combined force of Medes, Persians, and Elamites, took mighty Babylon, in fulfillment of the Biblical prophecies. (Isa 21:2, 9; 44:26–45:7; Da 5:28) 

?????????

With Babylon’s fall came the end of a long period of Semitic supremacy, now superseded by the first dominant world power of Aryan (Japhetic) descent. It also brought the land of Judah (as well as Syria and Phoenicia) within the Medo-Persian domain. By Cyrus’ decree, in 537 B.C.E. the exiled Jews were allowed to return to their homeland, which had lain desolate for exactly 70 years.—2Ch 36:20-23; see CYRUS.

?????????

F0E38E67-AF2D-4BA8-B195-A19C8FB4E2E1.jpeg

5697CDED-6B14-4379-AEF0-A0A08ACF618A.jpeg

• Views 513
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Babylon and Cyrus the Persian – Bible History! – Fact!  ????????? On this day (29th October) 539 BCE the Persian king Cyrus II walked triumphantly into Babylon, the ancient Mesopotamian ca

The World at Night project The morning twilight emerges as stars and the crescent moon rise above the tomb of Cyrus the Great in this time-exposure image. The 2500-year old World Heritage Site in

Posted Images

The World at Night project

The morning twilight emerges as stars and the crescent moon rise above the tomb of Cyrus the Great in this time-exposure image. The 2500-year old World Heritage Site in southern Iran means beyond an ancient monument to many Iranians who celebrate today October 29th (7th of Aban in Persian calendar) as Cyrus Day. This unofficial holiday which brings thousands of people to the ancient site of Pasargadae is sensitive to the Islamic authorities in Iran who are concerned of growing interest in pre-Islamic values and traditions. 

October 29th commemorates the entrance of Cyrus into Babylon. He founded the Persian Empire known as Achaemenid, which later became the largest empire in human history. Cyrus is recognized for his achievements in politics, leadership, and freedom of religion which influenced both Eastern and Western civilizations. I often wonder how many of us will be remembered in 2500 years, for good. 

Development of the Medo-Persian Empire. (MAP, Vol. 2, p. 327) Like the Medes, the Persians seem to have been ruled by several noble families. One of these families produced the Achaemenian dynasty of kings, the royal line from which came the founder of the Persian Empire, Cyrus the Great. Cyrus, who, according to Herodotus and Xenophon, was born of a Persian father and a Median mother, united the Persians under his leadership. (Herodotus, I, 107, 108; Cyropaedia, I, ii, 1) Till then the Medes had been dominant over the Persians, but Cyrus gained a swift victory over Median King Astyages and captured his capital city of Ecbatana (550 B.C.E.). (Compare Da 8:3, 20.) The Median Empire thus came under the control of the Persians.

Although the Medes continued subservient to the Persians during the remainder of the Achaemenian dynasty, there can be no doubt as to the dual nature of the empire that resulted. Thus, the book History of the Persian Empire (p. 37) says: “The close relationship between Persians and Medes was never forgotten. Plundered Ecbatana remained a favorite royal residence. Medes were honored equally with Persians.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200003447?q=cyrus+the+persian&p=par

19467C90-63E7-4528-BA25-E2E8FFF9C40B.jpeg