The World News Media

Why A Ancient Pagan Symbol? - Israeli archaeologists say they have found a 2,700-year-old piece of clay inscribed with a biblical king’s seal.

Bible Speaks

Israeli archaeologists say they have found a 2,700-year-old piece of clay inscribed with a biblical king’s seal.

It is thought the oval bulla, which is 13mm (0.5in) wide, was once attached to a papyrus document signed by Hezekiah, one of the kings of Judah.
It was found by a team from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem at the site of an ancient dump, beside the wall that surrounds JerusalemÂ’s Old City.
It is believed to have been thrown out with the rubbish from a royal building.
The bulla is imprinted with the symbol of a winged sun and an inscription in an ancient Hebrew script, saying: “Belonging to Hezekiah [son of] Ahaz king of Judah”.

Hezekiah, who ruled from 727-698BC, is described favourably in the Bible, as well as in the chronicles of the Assyrian kings, who ruled during his time.
Although he was an Assyrian vassal, he successfully maintained the independent standing of the Judean Kingdom and its capital Jerusalem, which he enhanced economically, religiously, and diplomatically.

“He trusted in the Lord God of Israel; so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor any that were before him,” says one verse in the second Book of Kings in the Bible.

The bulla was found in 2009, but was put into storage after an initial inspection failed to establish its origin. Only recently did an archaeologist discern what the inscription said.

Eilat Mazar of the Hebrew University of JerusalemÂ’s Institute of Archaeology said the bulla sealed a document written on a papyrus rolled and tied with thin cords, which left their mark on the back.

“This is the first time that a seal impression of an Israelite or Judean king has ever come to light in a scientific archaeological excavation,” she added.

??????????????

65D3FF15-B1A3-4B44-94C9-8BE4AAE606E8.jpeg

• Views 1k
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Israeli archaeologists say they have found a 2,700-year-old piece of clay inscribed with a biblical king’s seal. It is thought the oval bulla, which is 13mm (0.5in) wide, was once attached to a p

????????????? The bulla is imprinted with the symbol of a winged sun and an inscription in an ancient Hebrew script, saying: "Belonging to Hezekiah [son of] Ahaz king of Judah". Another comm

Posted Images

?????????????

The bulla is imprinted with the symbol of a winged sun and an inscription in an ancient Hebrew script, saying: "Belonging to Hezekiah [son of] Ahaz king of Judah".

Another comment from my other site: Interesting!

He was the King of Judea but he also an Assyrian vassal King under Pagan rule and this could be a Seal used by the Assyrians in addressing the Papyrus to King Hezekiah hence the symbol appearing on it.

Quite possibly this is what happened.
Hezekiah’s Mistake and Repentance. The Scripture record states that “according to the benefit rendered him Hezekiah made no return, for his heart became haughty and there came to be indignation against him and against Judah and Jerusalem.” (2Ch 32:25) The Bible does not say whether or not this haughtiness was connected with his unwise act in showing the entire treasure of his house and all his dominion to the messengers of the Babylonian king Berodach-baladan (Merodach-baladan) who were sent to Hezekiah after he recovered from his illness. Hezekiah may have displayed all this wealth to impress the king of Babylon as a possible ally against the king of Assyria. This, of course, could tend to excite the greed of the Babylonians. The prophet Isaiah was against any alliance with or dependence on GodÂ’s age-old enemy Babylon. When Isaiah heard how Hezekiah had treated the Babylonian messengers, he uttered the inspired prophecy from Jehovah that the Babylonians in time would carry away everything to Babylon, including some of HezekiahÂ’s descendants. Hezekiah, however, humbled himself and God kindly allowed that the calamity would not come in his days.—2Ki 20:12-19; 2Ch 32:26, 31; Isa 39:1-8.

Another comment from my other site: Interesting!

He was the King of Judea but he also an Assyrian vassal King under Pagan rule and this could be a Seal used by the Assyrians in addressing the Papyrus to King Hezekiah hence the symbol appearing on it.

6C8BC329-245F-4DF8-A40D-817DA53A55EC.jpeg