The World News Media

To all BoE: Handling Cases of Drug Abuse

Jack Ryan

This is the most recent Information all BoE received:

TO ALL BODIES OF ELDERS

Re: Handling Cases of Drug Abuse

Dear Brothers:

As noted below, the procedure for handling the misuse of marijuana and the abuse of medical, illicit, or addictive drugs has been adjusted to harmonize with the procedure for han-dling the misuse of tobacco.

Elders should use good judgment in weighing the circumstances and extent of the wrongdoing when determining whether a judicial committee should be formed for misuse of tobacco or marijuana or the abuse of medical, illicit, or addictive drugs. For example, one or two elders may handle matters by means of counsel if a Christian abused an addictive drug or smoked cigarettes on one or two occasions and the matter is not widely known. The coordina-tor of the body of elders should be informed. However, a judicial committee is required for a practice of abusing addictive drugs, including betel nut, marijuana, and tobacco.—2 Cor. 7:1; lvs pp. 110-117; lv pp. 93-96; w06 7/15 pp. 30-31.

If a medical doctor authorizes and/or prescribes marijuana for a medical problem, a Christian may choose to make use of this form of treatment. Although no judicial action would be taken, if an issue arises in the congregation, the elders will need to determine whether the individual can be viewed as exemplary. The proper use of addictive drugs under medical supervision, such as for pain management, would not require judicial review. When questions arise, please consult with the Service Department.

Each elder should cross out chapter 5, paragraph 14, bullet 4, and chapter 5, paragraph 15, in his copy of the Shepherding textbook. He should make the following notation in the margin: “See the September 1, 2018, letter to all bodies of elders.” This letter has been added to the list of letters that will be cited in Index to Letters for Bodies of Elders (S-22).

We send our warm Christian love.

• Views 604
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the most recent Information all BoE received:

Point well taken, albeit sarcastically.   I've done some digging on this subject and found that CBD from hemp (less than 3% THC)  is legal in all 50 US states.    It comes from a different strain of c

What I read is If a person uses marijuana, even if only for pain control, it’s up to the discretion of elders to determine if this person is acceptable or needs a disciplinary measure. As in all things, I’m sure the medically trained, non-biased, ever-loving elder team will make the right decision.

5 hours ago, Jack Ryan said:

So I guess the devil’s lettuce isn’t tied to spiritism when a medical doctor writes a prescription? ?

Point well taken, albeit sarcastically.   I've done some digging on this subject and found that CBD from hemp (less than 3% THC)  is legal in all 50 US states.    It comes from a different strain of cannabis sativa than marijuana which is higher in THC (the psycho active ingredient).   There is a lot and I mean a lot of confusion about this even in the medical field.   One big problem is it's illegal to grow cannabis  including  hemp in the US by federal law (9 states  allow it).  Some believe the regulation law of 1937  came about because of the competition with the forestry interests vs hemp growers when it came to making paper.  In 1970 all forms (4000 strains/varieties) of  Cannabis  (which included hemp and marijuana) was classified as a Schedule I drug.   So you could be in a state that legalized cannabis but if you use it, you are still breaking US federal law.  This could be different in another country.   France is the largest grower of hemp followed by China, Japan, etc.   

Based on the letter you submitted for the BoE, it doesn't address anything about whether someone smokes marijuana verses eating it or taking it in another form.   It doesn't address why a person needs it.  I understand they could get into a lot of trouble if they interfered with a medical directive but given the how the laws are written so loosely (sarcasm accepted here) pretty much anyone could get a prescription from a doctor.  It's Satan's crazy world and the poor brothers have to navigate through this mess for the benefit of the congregation.  I would hope you would cut them some slack here and there.  

BTW:   Do some research on hemp variety of cannabis,  it's definitely not the devils lettuce.  It's amazing how useful and practical hemp is, as well, as nutritious (I personally use hemp seed in my diet and plan on adding CBD oil to it).   Jehovah created it for our benefit.  Just be cautious of the country where the hemp is grown.