The World News Media

In what way is someone appointed by Holy Spirit?

Jack Ryan

Because the elders Manual says that if a brother commits a DFable sin but kept it secret and it was in the past then he can get a free pass.

But if that brother was sinning right before his appointment and kept it secret while they ask you the two questions before you get appointed then they make an example out of you.

How do they explain someone getting appointed but yet secretly sinning.

• Views 576
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The inspired word of God provides the list of qualifications. 1Tim 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9. These qualifications are not  academic qualifications obtained from secular or theological institutes of learning (comp. Acts 4:13) They are outlined in the inspired word and are defined by it.

This way, the appointment is by holy spirit. There is no direct manifestation such as what took place with the first anointed Christians at the festival of Pentecost 33 CE (Acts 2:1-4).

As Titus 1:5 shows, men currently serving as elders will make appointments of those they feel measure up to these qualifications so that is the sense in which they are appointed by holy spirit. The qualifications they meet are defined by holy spirit in the inspired word of God.

However, the warning Paul gave Timothy to avoid a hasty appointment of an older man indicates that it could be possible to appoint inappropriately (1Tim. 5:22). Paul provides reassurance in this regard in his words at 1Tim 5:24-25 in that secret sins will eventually come to light.

As for men who enjoyed theocratic office whilst behaving inappropriately, the scriptures are full of examples of those who thought they could fool Jehovah along with the people, and the outcome for them. Both Saul and David come to mind.

On 5/10/2016 at 11:46 PM, Eoin Joyce said:

This way, the appointment is by holy spirit. There is no direct manifestation such as what took place with the first anointed Christians at the festival of Pentecost 33 CE (Acts 2:1-4).

As for men who enjoyed theocratic office whilst behaving inappropriately, the scriptures are full of examples of those who thought they could fool Jehovah along with the people, and the outcome for them. Both Saul and David come to mind.

Hello Eoin Joyce,

I do believe there are indeed direct manifestations of the anointing of Holy Spirit today – ask any anointed one and they will tell you.  It is interesting that elders are considered appointed by holy spirit through scriptural guidance outlined by Paul, and thus comes this blessing or appointing by holy spirit.  This is a stretch of the imagination, I believe, when compared to an anointing, the outpouring of Holy Spirit on an individual by God himself.

Titus 1:5 clearly shows this to be an appointment made by men.  Paul was following a common practice, a Jewish tradition and not the making of appointments through the laying on of hands which would be considered an anointing.  Within the Body of Christ, God’s Temple administration, we can find symbolic designation of elders and without a doubt, these ones are chosen by God.  Rev 4:4,10; 5:8,14;7:11;11:16;19:4; Acts 2:17

Elders appointed by men have expectations to meet regarding the interests of the organization.   God, who sees the heart, anoints ones of his choosing to feed his sheep truth in Christ.  This is their sole purpose.  How is it then, that elders have usurped this role of God’s chosen ones and assume it is their job to feed the sheep?  1 Cor 12:7-31;6:2  Instead of “take the lead” which is expected by elders, God has given the lead to his faithful anointed ones. Acts 20:28; 1 Cor 12:18

The elder arrangement does not in any way reflect even what Paul had directed.  While he himself was building up the Body of Christ, the elder arrangement today has expropriated the Body and created a counterfeit “priesthood”.  These may seem like harsh words, but it is those chosen ones – the Temple – who must be recognized as God’s priesthood to serve not only God, but the sheep.  2 Chron 23:6; Num 3:10; 1 Cor 3:16,16

Both Saul and David were anointed by Holy Spirit, and their outcome cannot be compared with men appointed by men.  Yes, there are chosen ones who fall gravely short, and are dealt with by God himself, since their devotion is strictly to God and they must hold to the same standard as Jesus.  John 7:18; Rev 14:5; 2 Cor 3:5

Since an elder body is to be obeyed, why would those appointed by God be “in subjection” to men?  How are the following scriptures adhered to if an elder body is given more acknowledgment than God’s own anointed ones?  Shouldn’t we trust God’s provision for spiritual sustenance?  Would it not be rejecting Christ and his Temple by brushing aside his own chosen priesthood?

“For the lips of a priest ought to preserve knowledge, because he is the messenger of the Lord Almighty and people seek instruction from his mouth.”  Mal 2:7

“As you come to him, the living Stonerejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him—  you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ For in Scripture it says:

“See, I lay a stone in Zion,
    a chosen and precious cornerstone,
and the one who trusts in him
    will never be put to shame.”

Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,

“The stone the builders rejected
    has become the cornerstone,”

and,

“A stone that causes people to stumble
    and a rock that makes them fall.”

They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for.  1 Pet 2:7,8

“Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward. If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea.”  Mark 9:41,42

Whoever receives one child like this in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me does not receive me, but Him who sent Me. Mark 9:37

“The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep”  John 21:17