The World News Media

Opening up the scriptures. When and to whom ?

The Jewish religious leaders had the Hebrew scriptures but did not have the help of God's holy spirit to understand the things they were reading.

The men that became the 12 disciples would have known the Hebrew scriptures because they were Jews, but how much attention those men would have given to the reasoning on the scriptures is unknown. So it would seem that although those scriptures were 'available', they were not fully understood.

It is also very interesting that, even though 11 of the 12 remained loyal to Jesus, Jesus did not open up the scriptures to them during his ministry. So it must have been a deliberate action by Jesus to keep some things 'hidden' from the disciples.  John 16 : 12 

Berean Literal Bible   "Yet I have many things to say to you, but you are not able to bear them now."

It was only after Jesus was resurrected that He fully opened up the Hebrew scriptures to His disciples. And of course Judas was no longer one of them.

Luke 24  

13  But look! on that very day, two of them were traveling to a village named Em·maʹus, about seven miles from Jerusalem, (these 2 were not of the 11).

Berean Study Bible 
32, They asked each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us as He spoke with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?

Luke 24 :

33  And they got up in that very hour and returned to Jerusalem, and they found the Eleven and those assembled together with them (NWT)

36  While they were speaking of these things, he himself stood in their midst and said to them: “May you have peace.” (NWT)

44  He then said to them: “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was yet with you, that all the things written about me in the Law of Moses and in the Prophets and Psalms must be fulfilled.” (NWT)

45 New International Version
Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.

So at that point it would seem that all those disciples would have had their minds opened and could fully understand the Hebrew scriptures. 

Looking onward at Acts 1 : 8 "But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you, and you will be witnesses of me in Jerusalem, in all Ju·deʹa and Sa·marʹi·a, and to the most distant part of the earth.”

Acts 2 "Now while the day of the Festival of Pentecost was in progress, they were all together at the same place.  Suddenly there was a noise from heaven, just like that of a rushing, stiff breeze, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.  And tongues as if of fire became visible to them and were distributed, and one came to rest on each one of them,  and they all became filled with holy spirit and started to speak in different languages, just as the spirit enabled them to speak."

An interesting point at Acts 2 : 32 & 33

32  God resurrected this Jesus, and of this we are all witnesses. 33  Therefore, because he was exalted to the right hand of God and received the promised holy spirit from the Fatherhe has poured out what you see and hear.  (NWT)

Berean Literal Bible
33. Therefore having been exalted at the right hand of God, and having received the promise of the Holy Spirit from the Father, He has poured out this which you are both seeing and hearing.

So is this saying that it is Jesus that 'pours out Holy Spirit' now, not God ? 

Now up to this point I've only mentioned the Hebrew scriptures, because that was all that they had. And also I've only covered the point that these were true Christian followers of Christ. We now move forward nearly 2,000 years.

We now have the Greek scriptures, which were written by some of those true followers of Christ, and written under inspiration of holy spirit. But we neither have those true Christian followers, nor do we have an opening up of the true meaning of those Greek scriptures.

As in the days of those Jewish religious leaders of the 1st century, who had the Hebrew scriptures but could not understand the full meaning and importance of them. We now have the full Hebrew and Greek scriptures available but do not understand the full meaning and importance of them. 

So as it was in 33 C. E. when Jesus opened up the Hebrew scriptures to His true followers, so it is necessary for Jesus to open up the full meaning of the scriptures now. But questions need answering. Were those Jewish religious leaders really trying to understand scripture or were they just misusing scripture for their own gain ? And again, is any religion today, trying to understand scripture or are all religions just misusing scripture for their own gain ?

Jesus drew people out from that Jewish religion and traditions of men. But that Jewish religion had been God's chosen way up until that time. 

Is there any religion now that may have been God's chosen way, and is Jesus going to draw people out from it ? 

Jesus fully opened up the scriptures to only a few chosen ones. Is Jesus once again going to open up the full scriptures to a few chosen ones ?

It obviously hasn't happened yet. All religions are groping around in the dark. In the first century Jesus seemed to leave it until the last 'minute' to open up those scriptures, so will Jesus once again leave it until the 'last minute' before giving full understanding to His true followers ? 

Hence I am, Patiently waiting for Truth. I think that is better than trying to rush ahead of God or Christ. 

Jesus has 'all authority' and HE will open up the scriptures at His chosen time. 

• Views 450
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Jewish religious leaders had the Hebrew scriptures but did not have the help of God's holy spirit to understand the things they were reading. The men that became the 12 disciples would have k

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.