The World News Media

Turnpike Commission pays $503,000 to Jehovah’s Witnesses congregation for Mon/Fayette Expressway

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories/turnpike-commission-pays-503000-jehovahs-witnesses-congregation-monfayette-expressway/KSN2OCSAERBPDN7MKDOB6R2JYE/

By WPXI.com News Staff

PITTSBURGH — The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission approved paying the West Mifflin Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses more than $500,000 for their property to make way for the Mon/Fayette Expressway. According to the commission’s agenda from the most recent meeting, the congregation received $503,840 for the property along Camp Hollow Road in West Mifflin. The land will be used as part of the new highway project that aims to connect I-68 near Morgantown, West Virginia and the Parkway East. The West Mifflin property will be used to construct a new portion of Rt. 43 from Rt. 51 in Jefferson Hills to Rt. 837 in Duquesne. PennDOT officials said construction is expected to start next year. The entire section of highway south of the Monongahela River is expected to cost around $900 million to build. Officials said the highway will offer an alternative route that allows drivers to avoid the Squirrel Hill Tunnel and Fort Pitt Tunnel once completed.

Here in the UK the government sometimes does 'compulsory purchase' orders so that a person has to sell their property. I wonder, does that happen in America ?

• Views 333
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the USA we have what is called "The Right of Imminent Domain", which means as an example, the GOV can confiscate your property for the "greater good", but it has to be fair and equitable. This is a

I think there are several models around that in Croatia. Sometimes the matter is resolved in court because the private owner is not satisfied with the small offer for redemption. And, sometimes the st

I was actually thinking on that when the article said 'it paid' the West Mifflin Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses.  Then it said "the congregation received $503,840 for the property" My though

13 hours ago, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

Here in the UK the government sometimes does 'compulsory purchase' orders so that a person has to sell their property.

I think there are several models around that in Croatia. Sometimes the matter is resolved in court because the private owner is not satisfied with the small offer for redemption. And, sometimes the state can expropriate property from the owner because of a higher interest for the state and the public.

In the USA we have what is called "The Right of Imminent Domain", which means as an example, the GOV can confiscate your property for the "greater good", but it has to be fair and equitable. This is a matter of negotiation, and sometimes a court battle.

... like the just and fair compensation the WTB&TS got from the State of Pennsylvania.

After the WTB&TS confiscated all the Kingdom Halls in the World (for the "Greater Good"), I wonder if the congregations were justly and fairly compensated?

14 hours ago, Pudgy said:

In the USA we have what is called "The Right of Imminent Domain", which means as an example, the GOV can confiscate your property for the "greater good", but it has to be fair and equitable. This is a matter of negotiation, and sometimes a court battle.

... like the just and fair compensation the WTB&TS got from the State of Pennsylvania.

After the WTB&TS confiscated all the Kingdom Halls in the World (for the "Greater Good"), I wonder if the congregations were justly and fairly compensated?

I was actually thinking on that when the article said 'it paid' the West Mifflin Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses.  Then it said "the congregation received $503,840 for the property"

My thoughts were that the congregation probably 'received' nothing, but the Watchtower Soc' / GB received that money. Well it will help to pay for the 'new film studio' at Ramapo I suppose. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.