The World News Media

Was Jesus Anointed at His baptism ?

Please bear in mind I'm 71 and I've forgotten more than I can remember. So here I am pondering on a few things, such as :-

When Jesus was baptised by John (Luke 3 : 21 & 22 )

21  Now when all the people were baptized, Jesus too was baptized. As he was praying, the heaven was opened up, 22  and the holy spirit in bodily form like a dove came down upon him, and a voice came out of heaven: “You are my Son, the beloved; I have approved you.”

Luke 4. 1. Then Jesus, full of holy spirit, turned away from the Jordan, and he was led about by the spirit in the wilderness  for 40 days, .................. 

Was Jesus anointed by God at His baptism ?  It would seem that Jesus did not have the holy spirit previously. 

Now, if Jesus was anointed at His baptism, did He also become King ( of the Kingdom) at the same time ? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The 120 in the Upper room. The way Acts is written seems rather strange. For instance : -  Acts 1 

12  Then they returned to Jerusalem from a mountain called the Mount of Olives, which is near Jerusalem, only a sabbath day’s journey away. 13  When they arrived, they went up into the upper room where they were staying. There were Peter as well as John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bar·tholʹo·mew and Matthew, James the son of Al·phaeʹus and Simon the zealous one, and Judas the son of James. 14  With one purpose all of these were persisting in prayer, together with some women and Mary the mother of Jesus and with his brothers.

1 During those days Peter stood up in the midst of the brothers (the number of people was altogether about 120) 

Acts 2 : 1 Now while the day of the Festival of Pentecost was in progress, they were all together at the same place. 

So here we have three different ideas : 'When they arrived',,, During those days,, while the day of the Festival of Pentecost was in progress. But it seems that the 120 were the same ones mentioned in Acts 1 : 12 - 14. and the same ones mentioned in Acts 2 : 1.

So, were these 120 anointed by Jesus at that time ?  Acts 2

2, Suddenly there was a noise from heaven, just like that of a rushing, stiff breeze, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.  And tongues as if of fire became visible to them and were distributed, and one came to rest on each one of them,  and they all became filled with holy spirit and started to speak in different languages, just as the spirit enabled them to speak.

Did these 120 become part of the Kingdom at that time ? 

We know that Jesus said that the Kingdom was already here, when he was on Earth. Recorded at Luke 17 : 20 - 21 

20  On being asked by the Pharisees when the Kingdom of God was coming, he answered them: “The Kingdom of God is not coming with striking observableness 21  nor will people say, ‘See here!’ or, ‘There!’ For look! the Kingdom of God is in your midst.”

If Jesus was referring to Himself as King of the Kingdom, it would still prove that He had been made King by God at that time. Otherwise Jesus was not telling the truth. 

I will continue to ponder and add to this later. 

( I don't want anyone that has fixed ideas about the Kingdom being set up in 1914 to rant on this topic, thank you. You yourself know that Jesus said the Kingdom was already established before that date.)   

• Views 3.1k
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As soon as I saw this on the 21st, I wrote a response that disappeared just as I was about to "Submit Reply." I figured that it was probably a bad sign that my computer touchpad was jumping the cursor

All faithful, obedient believers in Christ who desire to know truth are led by the Holy Spirit, and most definitely Jesus had God’s Spirit guiding him since his birth.  But, the pouring out and being

but it still qualifies me to be premier spokesperson for those who don’t like Jehovah’s Witnesses.

This is elementary for most folks to know this, in fact this is absolute cake. The answer is Yes. He is also a Firstfruit, the very first one.

As for Pentecost 33 A.D., Jesus talked about the promise the people are to be given by means of the Father, which is the Holy Spirit.

14 hours ago, Space Merchant said:

This is elementary for most folks to know this, in fact this is absolute cake. The answer is Yes. He is also a Firstfruit, the very first one.

As for Pentecost 33 A.D., Jesus talked about the promise the people are to be given by means of the Father, which is the Holy Spirit.

You seem to miss the whole point of the questions. I know Jesus 'received' Holy Spirit at his baptism. My point was, was Jesus Anointed then.

And the same with the 120 in the Upper room. Yes they received Holy Spirit, but were they Anointed then ? 

The point being if they were Anointed then they became part of the Kingdom at that time. 

@JW Insider I would like your honest personal opinion about this and it would be nice to know the Watchtower teaching on this too. Would you be kind enough to read it from the top of page. 

1 hour ago, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

[JWI], I would like your honest personal opinion about this and it would be nice to know the Watchtower teaching on this too. Would you be kind enough to read it from the top of page…

so I can tell you you’re wrong about it.

On 7/21/2021 at 1:20 PM, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

You seem to miss the whole point of the questions. I know Jesus 'received' Holy Spirit at his baptism. My point was, was Jesus Anointed then.

Simply added on to it with detail for some do not know this information, hence your title - Was Jesus Anointed at His baptism ?

And the same with the 120 in the Upper room. Yes they received Holy Spirit, but were they Anointed then ?

You answered your own question, they make up the Firstfruits (hence Festival of Pentecost), Chosen, or in your words, Anointed. So much so, Pentecost 33 A.D. is noted as a huge event for true worshippers of the Christian church congregation, granted, the event in of itself signifies the birth of the Christian faith just days after the New Covenant (New Law as some refer to such) was enabled by means of Christ Jesus.

As a side note, as mentioned already, Jesus was the first of the Firstfruits prior to the 120, and the thousands that came after.

The point being if they were Anointed then they became part of the Kingdom at that time. 

Yes. They make up Spiritual Israel, and their role is recorded in the Greek text of what they will do while part of the Kingdom, as is the notion of spirit persons, etc. for their position is already solidified.

I believe JWI most likely made note to something similar in the past.

On 7/21/2021 at 3:04 PM, TrueTomHarley said:

so I can tell you you’re wrong about it.

The notion of the Firstfruits (Chosen Ones, Anointed Ones) is 100% core to legitimate Anti-Trinitarians, this includes the Jehovah's Witnesses too. Not to mention that Firstfruits are the type of Christians who have no singular status, i.e. race, background, sex, etc. Liken to the early apostolic church formed that day, granted, Spiritual Israel and it's role in The Messianic Kingdom extended past Jews, thus the conversion of Samaritans, Gentiles, etc.

On 7/22/2021 at 1:56 AM, Pudgy said:

... um ....  MY personal opinion is that Jesus' 100% human brother Brian got a bum rap after stepping out of his fishing boat, and trying to walk towards shore on the water.

The day before he had been to a crucifixion rehearsal, and both his feet had holes.

Guess Simon of Cyrene didn't get the memo. They picked him out of the crowd, putting the spotlight on him and he had no practice.

The notion of the Firstfruits (Chosen Ones, Anointed Ones) is 100% core to legitimate Anti-Trinitarians, this includes the Jehovah's Witnesses too.

But JWs say that the Kingdom was set up in 1914. 

Whereas Jesus was anointed as King at his baptism and in some ways made it known to the Pharisees whilst He was still alive saying 'The kingdom of God is amongst you'. 

Jesus told his disciple (John 10 : 16)   Berean Study Bible
"I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them in as well, and they will listen to My voice. Then there will be one flock and one shepherd."

And the 120 chosen ones, at  Pentecost 33 A.D, became part of that Kingdom at that time. 

Yes. They make up Spiritual Israel,

My point being that Spiritual Israel / the Kingdom, started with the baptism of Jesus and then the anointing of the 120 at Pentecost in 33 A.D. 

So why do the Watchtower / JW org say the Kingdom started in 1914 ? 

I'm trying to get people's personal feelings on this, but people (JWs) seem frightened to give an answer. 

1 hour ago, Space Merchant said:

The notion of the Firstfruits (Chosen Ones, Anointed Ones) is 100% core to legitimate Anti-Trinitarians

My bad. Though they are my words, they are meant as an extension of PSomH’s request to JWI. (Sort of an inside joke)

He will beg him for advice,

His reply will be concise,

And he’ll listen very nicely then go off and do precisely what he wants. (which is to tell JWI he’s wrong)

On 7/17/2021 at 9:45 AM, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

Was Jesus anointed by God at His baptism ?  It would seem that Jesus did not have the holy spirit previously. 

Now, if Jesus was anointed at His baptism, did He also become King ( of the Kingdom) at the same time ? 

All faithful, obedient believers in Christ who desire to know truth are led by the Holy Spirit, and most definitely Jesus had God’s Spirit guiding him since his birth.  But, the pouring out and being filled with Holy Spirit is the opening up of wisdom/truth/knowledge (God’s word) from heaven.  (1 John 2:27 )  Being “filled” with spirit is an anointing. I believe it was at that time (Luke 3:21,22) that Jesus then knew the extent of the path he had to take while on the earth. 

As you say, the next chapter in Luke continues after his baptism by saying,

“Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry.

After that time of testing…

“Jesus *returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside. 15 He was teaching in their synagogues, and everyone praised him.”

He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. He stood up to read, 17 and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:

18 The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
    and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
19     to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”   Luke 4  (Isa 61:1)

Ps 45:7 - You love righteousness and hate wickedness;
    therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions
    by anointing you with the oil of joy.

Acts 10:37,38 - “You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, announcing the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all. 37 You know what has happened throughout the province of Judea, *beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached— 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.” 

His “anointing” at his water baptism, was a fulfilment of prophesy.  The literal anointing of oil in the early days of the nation’s kings, signified that that person was chosen to reign as king. (1 Sam 9:16; 15:1; 2 Sam 12:7; 1 Kings 19:15…) Also the priesthood was anointed as signifying that God had chosen those under the lineage of Aaron to be a priest. (Num 25:10-13; 3:10; Lev 10:8-11; Mal 2:7) That lineage has continued spiritually through all the anointed priests/kings since Christ.   (Exod 29:1,7; 2 Cor 1:21,22; Rev 5:9,10)

Jesus, is both our High Priest and our King.  (Heb 4:14,15; John 1:49; Rev 17:14)

On 7/17/2021 at 9:45 AM, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

We know that Jesus said that the Kingdom was already here, when he was on Earth. Recorded at Luke 17 : 20 - 21 

20  On being asked by the Pharisees when the Kingdom of God was coming, he answered them: “The Kingdom of God is not coming with striking observableness 21  nor will people say, ‘See here!’ or, ‘There!’ For look! the Kingdom of God is in your midst.”

If Jesus was referring to Himself as King of the Kingdom, it would still prove that He had been made King by God at that time. Otherwise Jesus was not telling the truth. 

Exactly.  I just had a few more thoughts

At the anointing of God's priests, they become the “dwelling” of God’s Spirit:

1 Cor 3:16 - Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?

That sounds similar to your scripture in Luke17:21, doesn’t it? 

“nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is in your midst.”[a]

[a]   “is within you”

Jesus was talking not only to those disciples who would enter into the covenant with him, but this message was for the future, for the arrival of the Kingdom.  Because the anointed are part of the Temple, (1 Pet 2:5,9) under the New Covenant, New Jerusalem (Gal 4:26) – the Kingdom/dwelling of God is within their hearts. 

KJV 1 Cor 3:16 –“ Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

So, what do we see God’s holy people looking for, while in the Wt?  They are looking for literal signs of the birth of the Kingdom. But, Jesus is specifically saying the coming of the kingdom “is not something that can be observed.  THEY, God’s saints, are the kingdom, as Jesus is, but they are falling for lies.  Only if they remove themselves from this trap of “empty philosophy”, will God’s spirit continue to dwell in their hearts.(Luke 21:20; Matt 24:3,24,25,4,5,9-11,13,21; Dan 12:1,4; Col 2:8; Rev 13:10; 16:13-16; 20:7-9)  

They must wake up and submit fully to Jesus Christ, in repentance, (Mal 3:1-4) and get out from under the rule of a wicked slave and “uncircumcised” “Gentiles”.  (Isa 52:1; Dan 8:11,12,17; Matt 24:15,16,48-51; 2 Thess 2:3,4; Rev 11:1,2; 13:5-7; 3:16;18:4-8; 1 Pet 2:6; Rev 3:17,18) 

The battle of Armageddon takes place within each one of us, not on the playground of Satan. It involves our choice of either truth or lies. 

(John 8:44; 2 Cor 4:4; 1 Tim 4:1; Rev 16:13-16)

(Isa 43:8,9; Dan 7:22; Matt 25:9,10; 1 Cor 11:18,19; Mal 3:18; Matt 7:20) https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isa+43%3A8%2C9%3B+Dan+7%3A22%3B+Matt+25%3A9%2C10%3B+1+Cor+11%3A18%2C19%3B+Mal+3%3A18%3B+Matt+7%3A20&version=NIV

So you see, people are saying, and have been saying for quite awhile, that the kingdom is within the hearts of the anointed priests of God.  Luke 17:21  

https://pearl-sign.blogspot.com/

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.