The World News Media

NAILS OR NAIL, HANDS OR WRISTS, AND OTHER SUCH SCRIPTURES. HOW DO CHRISTIANS KNOW WHAT IS TRUE ?

Patiently waiting for Truth

John 2 From verse 19 onward. 

When it was late that day, the first day of the week, and the doors were locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them: “May you have peace.” 20  After saying this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced at seeing the Lord.21  Jesus said to them again: “May you have peace. Just as the Father has sent me, I also am sending you.” 22  After saying this he blew on them and said to them: “Receive holy spirit. 23  If you forgive the sins of anyone, they are forgiven; if you retain those of anyone, they are retained.”24  But Thomas, one of the Twelve, who was called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. 25  So the other disciples were telling him: “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them: “Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails and stick my finger into the print of the nails and stick my hand into his side, I will never believe it.” 26  Well, eight days later his disciples were again indoors, and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and he stood in their midst and said: “May you have peace.” 27  Next he said to Thomas: “Put your finger here, and see my hands, and take your hand and stick it into my side, and stop doubting but believe.” 28  In answer Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” 29  Jesus said to him: “Because you have seen me, have you believed? Happy are those who have not seen and yet believe.”

I did the biblehub thing to compare these verses and as far as I could see they all compare favourably with this NWT translation. 

BUT it seems that some people on here do not agree with any of them. 

Some of you, even some JWs, want to change the wording. You want NAIL, instead of NAILS. And you want WRISTS instead of HANDS. 

Now this is only ONE small portion of scripture. This portion is from the New World Translation written by the Watchtower Soc' / JW org, and approved by the GB of those orgs. And yet even JWs do not believe it. 

So how is a Christian supposed to 'study' God's word if that 'word' is not translated properly anywhere ? 

Some here will say, 'You have to do research'. But surely that would mean spending ten minutes on every line written. Not only would you lose the sense of it, you would quickly become demoralised. 

Some here call me a fool for my hoping in a True Anointed remnant. So continue to do so, as now I'm also hoping in a TRUE translation of the Holy Scriptures. 

People need to be able to trust what they are reading in God's word. But how can they if all translations are written according to the writer's own beliefs and agenda... If Strong's or any other, show that things can be translated in various ways, then how does the average Christian know which way is the right way ?

Remember Matthew 11 : 25 & 26

At that time Jesus said in response: “I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to young children. 26  Yes, O Father, because this is the way you approved.

Some of us are like young children. We are not wise and intellectual ones.  So, some of us need TRUTH to be simple. But 'religions' have made TRUTH to be difficult. 'Religions' have added burdens to even basic Bible study, by not translating it truthfully. Because 'religions' all follow their own agenda. 

• Views 3.9k
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is. You needlessly complicate it by being overly exacting, excessively unforgiving, and too enamored with your own righteousness. “NAILS OR NAIL, HANDS OR WRISTS, AND OTHER SUCH SCRIPTURES. HO

NAILS OR NAIL, HANDS OR WRISTS, AND OTHER SUCH SCRIPTURES. HOW DO CHRISTIANS KNOW WHAT IS TRUE ? The ONLY reason such considerations are important is judging the credibility of those who claim to

Come come. Add hypersensitivity to the list. Jesus nailed through the hands or wrists? That’s your crisis of faith that causes you to patiently wait? Who cares? If he was shot with a gun it

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

So, some of us need TRUTH to be simple.

It is. You needlessly complicate it by being overly exacting, excessively unforgiving, and too enamored with your own righteousness.

“NAILS OR NAIL, HANDS OR WRISTS, AND OTHER SUCH SCRIPTURES. HOW DO CHRISTIANS KNOW WHAT IS TRUE ?”

They can’t. They need a True Anointed to explain everything. In the meantime, it’s important not to do anything except complain.

Whatever happened to “Exert yourselves vigorously to get in through the narrow door?” (Luke 13:24) He didn’t say wait for the doorman to ease your way in.

13 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

It is. You needlessly complicate it by being overly exacting, excessively unforgiving, and too enamored with your own righteousness.

“NAILS OR NAIL, HANDS OR WRISTS, AND OTHER SUCH SCRIPTURES. HOW DO CHRISTIANS KNOW WHAT IS TRUE ?”

They can’t. They need a True Anointed to explain everything. In the meantime, it’s important not to do anything except complain.

Whatever happened to “Exert yourselves vigorously to get in through the narrow door?” (Luke 13:24) He didn’t say wait for the doorman to ease your way in.

Wow. You and SM must get on well. All you do is criticize and judge me. You deliberately avoid the whole point of this topic because you get your pleasure, not from serving God, but from trying to wind people up and to get material for your books.

Have a good day Tom.  

3 hours ago, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

John 2 From verse 19 onward. 

When it was late that day, the first day of the week, and the doors were locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them: “May you have peace.” 20  After saying this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced at seeing the Lord.21  Jesus said to them again: “May you have peace. Just as the Father has sent me, I also am sending you.” 22  After saying this he blew on them and said to them: “Receive holy spirit. 23  If you forgive the sins of anyone, they are forgiven; if you retain those of anyone, they are retained.”24  But Thomas, one of the Twelve, who was called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. 25  So the other disciples were telling him: “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them: “Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails and stick my finger into the print of the nails and stick my hand into his side, I will never believe it.” 26  Well, eight days later his disciples were again indoors, and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and he stood in their midst and said: “May you have peace.” 27  Next he said to Thomas: “Put your finger here, and see my hands, and take your hand and stick it into my side, and stop doubting but believe.” 28  In answer Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” 29  Jesus said to him: “Because you have seen me, have you believed? Happy are those who have not seen and yet believe.”

I did the biblehub thing to compare these verses and as far as I could see they all compare favourably with this NWT translation. 

BUT it seems that some people on here do not agree with any of them. 

Some of you, even some JWs, want to change the wording. You want NAIL, instead of NAILS. And you want WRISTS instead of HANDS. 

Now this is only ONE small portion of scripture. This portion is from the New World Translation written by the Watchtower Soc' / JW org, and approved by the GB of those orgs. And yet even JWs do not believe it. 

So how is a Christian supposed to 'study' God's word if that 'word' is not translated properly anywhere ? 

Some here will say, 'You have to do research'. But surely that would mean spending ten minutes on every line written. Not only would you lose the sense of it, you would quickly become demoralised. 

Some here call me a fool for my hoping in a True Anointed remnant. So continue to do so, as now I'm also hoping in a TRUE translation of the Holy Scriptures. 

People need to be able to trust what they are reading in God's word. But how can they if all translations are written according to the writer's own beliefs and agenda... If Strong's or any other, show that things can be translated in various ways, then how does the average Christian know which way is the right way ?

Remember Matthew 11 : 25 & 26

At that time Jesus said in response: “I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to young children. 26  Yes, O Father, because this is the way you approved.

Some of us are like young children. We are not wise and intellectual ones.  So, some of us need TRUTH to be simple. But 'religions' have made TRUTH to be difficult. 'Religions' have added burdens to even basic Bible study, by not translating it truthfully. Because 'religions' all follow their own agenda. 

The truth cannot be long hidden for the righteous of heart.

One should note as for hands and wrists:

Crownjewel82 from CSE - The word used in the Bible can mean any part of the hand or arm. People who study crucifixion in general found that the nails most often went through the wrist and that the weight of the body would cause the nail to tear through the flesh of the hand as is most commonly depicted in Christian art. Thus, a fairly common view is that the nails actually went through the wrist.

Nail placement
Crucifixion window by Henry E. Sharp, 1872, in St. Matthew's German Evangelical Lutheran Church, Charleston, South Carolina In popular depictions of the crucifixion of Jesus (possibly because in translations of John 20:25 the wounds are described as being "in his hands"), Jesus is shown with nails in his hands. But in Greek the word "χείρ", usually translated as "hand", could refer to the entire portion of the arm below the elbow,[38] and to denote the hand as distinct from the arm some other word could be added, as "ἄκρην οὔτασε χεῖρα" (he wounded the end of the χείρ, i.e., "he wounded her in the hand".[39]

Notes - Crucifixion - Wikipedia

NAILS OR NAIL, HANDS OR WRISTS, AND OTHER SUCH SCRIPTURES. HOW DO CHRISTIANS KNOW WHAT IS TRUE ?

The ONLY reason such considerations are important is judging the credibility of those who claim to have "special insight" about such things, and who in doing so enhance their own authority and perception of their alleged wisdom.

other than that .... the IMPORTANT thing is that Christ did die for the forgiveness of our sins.

Nail or Nails, Hands or Wrists .... who gives a cat's coughed-up fur balls?  ..... the ONLY way to judge a religion is this:

"Is it in the long term best interests of Civilization?"

How THAT is judged is , Is it fair, honest, kind, and equitable ...peaceable, courageous, valiant and virtuous?  And noble.

.... and most important, Righteousness .... that is ... doing good because it is God's will to do good.

It is not important if Jesus was stapled to a cardboard shipping container.

.... not really.

2 hours ago, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

All you do is criticize and judge me.

Come come. Add hypersensitivity to the list.

Jesus nailed through the hands or wrists? That’s your crisis of faith that causes you to patiently wait?

Who cares? If he was shot with a gun it wouldn’t change the meaning & results of his death, and that’s what you should focus on.

And if you truly want to advance an idea as scholarly, you do not quote Wikipedia as your source.

It’s like when I traveled to visit a friend and found him in college lab, working on repairing a centrifuge. He fretted ever so hard with his soldering gun, but it just wasn’t coming out. Finally, he looked at the sorry result and said, “Well—this might be okay for the toilet, but it doesn’t quite cut it for a centrifuge.”