The World News Media

WHO sex abuse allegations: Democratic Republic of the Congo

Patiently waiting for Truth

https://news.sky.com/story/who-sex-abuse-allegations-agency-staff-members-carried-out-rapes-during-democratic-republic-of-the-congo-ebola-response-report-says-12420560

WHO sex abuse allegations: Agency staff members carried out rapes during Democratic Republic of the Congo Ebola response,The allegations, which include nine claims of rape, were said to have been perpetrated by 83 foreigners and nationals from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, including 21 WHO staff members.

Twenty-one World Health Organisation (WHO) staff members were allegedly involved in sexual abuse during the agency's response to the Ebola crisis in central Africa, according to an official report.

The allegations, which include nine of rape, were identified by a special panel commissioned by WHO to look into claims involving the UN's health agency in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

It found a total of 83 perpetrators were involved in alleged sex abuse during the two-year response period, including the 21, in what has been called the biggest scandal of sexual wrongdoing linked to a UN institution in years.

WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the report produced by the panel made for "harrowing reading".

Apparently referring to the victims, he said: "I am sorry by what was done by people employed by the WHO to serve and protect you."

He said the findings would require "wholesale reforms of our structure and culture" and all known sex abuse perpetrators would be banned from working for the WHO in future, with four people already fired.

Western diplomatic sources who attended a closed-door briefing with WHO officials have said another two people have been placed on administrative leave.

News agencies AP and Thomson Reuters Foundation, which worked with the New Humanitarian, published separate allegations claiming that aid workers from WHO and leading charities misused their position during the 2018-2020 Ebola crisis in the country.

Among those accused was a WHO doctor and two other agency officials, who were said to have promised to buy land for a young woman who had got pregnant.

WHO chief Mr Tedros made 14 trips to the DRC during the outbreak period and publicly commended the work of at least one of those who was accused by AP.

Nearly 50 countries, including Britain, the US and Canada later issued a statement expressing their "deep concerns" about WHO's handling of sex abuse claims.

AP has since obtained recordings of meetings during which WHO emergencies chief Dr Michael Ryan acknowledged that the DRC sex abuse allegations were likely to be "the tip of an iceberg" and were part of a problem that "does reflect a culture as well".

A member of the Congolese Union of Media Women (UCOFEM), Julie Londo, applauded WHO for punishing staff members involved in the abuse allegations but said the agency needed to go further.

She said: "WHO must also think about reparation for the women who were traumatised by the rapes and the dozens of children who were born with unwanted pregnancies as a result of the rapes.

"There are a dozen girls in Butembo and Beni who had children with doctors during the Ebola epidemic, but today others are sent back by their families because they had children with foreigners...We will continue our fight to end these abuses."

WHO has faced criticism from a variety of sources in recent years, with the US cutting ties with it over its relationship with China, and from others over its failure to fully investigate the origins of and response to COVID-19.

• Views 1k
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://news.sky.com/story/who-sex-abuse-allegations-agency-staff-members-carried-out-rapes-during-democratic-republic-of-the-congo-ebola-response-report-says-12420560 WHO sex abuse allegations:

Stuff like this can spawn Child Sex Rings and Trafficking. Although they spotted this, the underbelly itself is like an unforeseen figure punching you in the dark from random directions. Those who fig

https://religionnews.com/2021/10/05/french-report-330000-children-victims-of-church-sex-abuse/

Stuff like this can spawn Child Sex Rings and Trafficking. Although they spotted this, the underbelly itself is like an unforeseen figure punching you in the dark from random directions. Those who fight it the right way can only minizine damage by trying to reach children and or stopping some instances, the unfortunate part is this stuff cannot stop, granted those working in said organizations, their intent, at times, is undetectable by those who cannot red Red Flags and the fact that they are not Religious based and are all over the place, it makes detection by some difficult.

Even the FBI didn't see the actions of a child abuser who is branched in the Gymnastics Team for the US, hence, Sports/Academic Institutions/Clubs.

On 10/6/2021 at 3:19 PM, NoisySrecko said:

I read about this.

There is also an extremely wealthy child predator who is subdued a woman, in turn the woman allowed said predator access to her 2 teenaged daughters, this same man also believes R. Kelly isn't a predator. I only found this out in the Business Community, and despite this guy openly exposing himself, saying what he actually does to girls, setting traps for them, because of his status he is untouchable. Reasons why teaching is vital so younger ones can avoid these types of people, and not to become like them.

That being said, CSA becomes more difficult in a way if people give up their sons and daughters to brazen conduct, giving them to predators.