The World News Media

How a Christmas song would lead me to believe that our 1914 teaching must be right after all.

JW Insider

• Views 16.4k
  • Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sure. I have no idea who will be saved or not. Nor does it make any difference to my personal responsibility to make known the good news.

To me this is why I don't sweat it when someone says that I gave a "bad witness". I try not to, but it's going to happen and happen repeatedly. We all have patterns. I just keep trying and relax while

So here in Genesis 15 we have a verse of the Bible, which in context is about the Abrahamic Covenant and is also a very clear discussion of chronology. It points out the time, the actual number of yea

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

“If you kids don’t stop whining back there I’m going to stop this car and give you something to whine about!” my dad would holler on long trips. At the time I thought he was mean. But as time goes by I’ve come to appreciate that sometimes that’s exactly the right answer to give.

On long trips, when I told my Dad “… I gotta pee! I gotta pee!”, he said “Just cover your eyes and stick your butt out the window … yeah, they will see your butt, but hey won’t know WHOSE butt.”

6 hours ago, Pudgy said:

If we are “little children” in the New System, on long trips at night do we get to lay down and ride on the car’s rear window deck?

Those were the days. The 1957 DeSoto had a great big rear window deck. That's how we'd take yearly trips out West between California and Missouri. Sometimes we'd take the Northern Route through KS, CO, UT, NV and usually we'd take the Southern Route ("66") through OK, TX, NM, AZ. My brother and I would argue over who got the back window.

My father, even though he was an electrical engineer by trade, would always keep an extra 57 DeSoto on the property for parts when the main one gave problems. Once we watched while he overhauled the engine and had a big engine pulley system and couple hundred pieces of "car" placed neatly on some extra sheets. I think it was this mini junkyard, more than anything else, that made fellow Missourians accept us Californians as true neighbors. (That, and the fact that he'd fix anyone's color TV for free.)

14 hours ago, JW Insider said:

Have you already finished it?

I think we still have about 30 minutes left. We kind of got distracted and later started watching something else. We need to watch the end. I'll let you know when we're done...

2 hours ago, JW Insider said:

Those were the days

Believe it or not we did that in Europe too! It was great. I started on the shelf of the rear window in Calais, and next time I woke up we were in Zurich, embracing my grandparents. That's how I remember it anyway....we probably did stop on the way to empty our bladders....and for my step dad to rest...but those are just minor details, lol.

2 hours ago, Pudgy said:

In Missouri they gauge a man’s value by how many cars he has in his front yard, up on blocks …

So true. I just remembered that the engine was a 331 inch "hemi," but it was a '56 DeSoto, not a '57. Our main car and the "extra" were both '56's. Also, there was a short time when he added a '55 Chrysler to the yard, because it came with the same engine.

These were the years 1965 to 1968, when there were many fewer unique engines in cars. One of my favorite memories was when we were parked and my father would put the seat down and close his eyes and tell me what kind of car just went by just from the sound of it, especially if the car was made anywhere from the late 1940's up until about 1960.

Good times!

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.