The World News Media

The Meaning of Hades

Witness

Contributed by "Joseph"

The meaning of HADES = not perceiving; not being aware or conscious of (something); or come to realize or understand.

This means that you can be alive while in Hades, but you are unable to perceive the meaning of scriptures, being in spiritual darkness. You may have been taught that Hades was the common grave, or a place of eternal torment, but according to the Bible, Hades is a state of not perceiving.

Straight from the Greek interlinear, Matthew 11:23:

https://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/mat11.pdf

adou

hadou = hades

G86

n_ Gen Sg m

OF-UN-PERCEIVED

unseen

Jesus spoke about this state of Hades to those outside who could not understand the parables he would teach with:

“And he said to them, “To you has been given the secret of the kingdom of God, but for those outside everything is in parables, so that “they may indeed see but not perceive, and may indeed hear but not understand, lest they should turn and be forgiven.” Mark 4:11-12

The wise and learned who rely on idols and manmade organizations cannot understand these parables, as the meanings are hidden from them:

“At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.” Matthew 11:25

Because it is Jesus who opens the minds:

“Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.” Luke 24:45

and opens hearts to understand:

“One who heard us was a woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple goods, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said by Paul.” Acts 16:14

“Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law” Psalms 19:18

“And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.” 1 John 5:20

Hades = not perceiving

What is Sheol/Hades?

• Views 749
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Peter, please reason on this. Matt 11:23 - “And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done

10 hours ago, Peter Carroll said:

if you think hades means not perceiving then you are,by your own defintion  in hades ,good luck trying to sell your brand of bullshit

Peter, please reason on this.

Matt 11:23 - “And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.”

“hell”Strong’s G86 - ᾅδου ᾅδηςhadēs – hades

“hades” - adou hadou G86 n_ Gen Sg m OF-UN-PERCEIVED unseen

It is derived from -  ἄλφα (G1) (as negative particle, [such as “un”/meaning “not”]) and εἴδω (G1492)

The meaning of εἴδω (G1492)

I.o see

A.               to perceive with the eyes

B.               to perceive by any of the senses

C.                to perceive, notice, discern, discover

D.               to see

i.i.e. to turn the eyes, the mind, the attention to anything

ii.to pay attention, observe

iii.to see about something

a.               i.e. to ascertain what must be done about it

iv.to inspect, examine

v.to look at, behold

E.                to experience any state or condition

F.                to see i.e. have an interview with, to visit

II.to know

.                 to know of anything

A.               to know, i.e. get knowledge of, understand, perceive

.of any fact

i.the force and meaning of something which has definite meaning

ii.to know how, to be skilled in

B.               to have regard for one, cherish, pay attention to (1Th. 5:12)

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexicon/g1492/kjv/tr/0-1/

“Hades” means the opposite of knowing, of perceiving, of having knowledge. So, if you are saying that it doesn’t mean “not perceiving”, then by telling me it is all…

10 hours ago, Peter Carroll said:

bullshit

...you are blaspheming the words spoken by Jesus Christ.  Jesus, in turn, condemns those who do not accept his words, but choose the words of uninspired men/GB, instead.  Is that really where you want to be found, Peter?  What they tell you and expect you to swallow down without proof, leads to condemnation in this life if you reject their doctrine.  However, Jesus tells us,

"Don’t fear those who kill the body but are not able to kill the soul; rather, fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in"...hell? No.  That word accurately translates as "gehenna", which is condemnation by fire, signified by the word of God.  Jer 23:29; Matt 10:28

“But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”  Matt 12:36,37

4 hours ago, Peter Carroll said:

you have no authority to teach or preach ,crawl back into your hole any rot away

2 Tim 4:3-4;3:16-17, God's Word Translation:

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear.  People will refuse to listen to the truth and turn to myths.

Every Scripture passage is inspired by God. All of them are useful for teaching, pointing out errors, correcting people, and training them for a life that has God’s approval.  They equip God’s servants so that they are completely prepared to do good things.