Many Miles

• Views 14.2k
  • Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It took a while for me to realize that, among some branches of Christians, there is virtue in ‘moving beyond’ the Bible. Most Witnesses will assume that if they can demonstrate they are adhering to th

I think it would seem to be quite presumptuous to say that we are the only spokesperson that God is using. Not my words. But I agree with the sentiment. The early Christian church found it diffic

I think that some brothers feel they can do a lot more good for both the organization and the congregations overall by not declaring themselves apostates, even if they hold beliefs different from the

Posted Images

Step over into Macedonia, Mr Many Miles, and help us.

”No thank you, 

33 minutes ago, Many Miles said:

Many Miles does not look for the best market.”

Having made that irresistible (to me) little quip, 

34 minutes ago, Many Miles said:

Many Miles shares what he can where he can wherever that happens to be, to help whoever is there as best he can.

yeah. Me too.

35 minutes ago, Many Miles said:

I do not count converts on a report slip

Ta da! Now we don’t either, just like you!

Oh, I guess we still put converts on a slip, they won’t mind, I am sure, but not the time it takes to make them. 

Any time you change a practice dating back 100 years, it’s a gutsy move.

I think counting time for so many years is a reflection of the lowly roots that Christianity came from and so far still is. It is the mark of the plebs who were accustomed to the factory model in which when there was nothing to do you’d better nonetheless look busy if you didn’t want the boss to fire you.

Now that the model has been discarded (and good riddance!) probably all the educated people will come in.who were offended by the old way. Trouble is, when they do, they may say to the uneducated and ordinary, ‘Okay—you’ve done well. Amazingly well, really, considering your lack of education. But the smart people are here now. Step aside.’

We’ll have to see how it plays out. One thing for sure, dropping time requirements removes all sense of being ‘on duty’ or ‘off duty.’ It will vastly aid efforts to informal witness, as people will do what makes sense, not press on come heck or high water so that whoever is being spoken to ‘receives a thorough witness!’

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

But rationality as defined today—my suspicion is that it was always that way involves an attempt to prove faith by the standards of its advocate’s main tool, that of science.

I want to say something more in response to that notion.

Rationality does not have a main tool. Rationality is a tool.

Things learned or advocated by science are no more or less useful to rationality than premises from any other source, including purely theoretical premises, even invented premises for sake of devil's advocacy to explore creative ideas.

It's pure fancy to think of science as a main tool for rationality.

2 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Step over into Macedonia, Mr Many Miles, and help us.

Here I am. Send me.

I'll do what I can.

I'll use longer words for those who need longer words. I'll use shorter words for those who need shorter words.

So long as the communication is clear all is good.

1 hour ago, Many Miles said:

I'll use longer words for those who need longer words. I'll use shorter words for those who need shorter words.

So long as the communication is clear all is good.

Yes. For me, if you pronounce Socrates with two syllables, thus making in shorter, I will appreciate the consideration. So-crates works just fine for me.

4 hours ago, Pudgy said:

… and now we wait for the sock puppet downvote ….

Exposing your predictions can keep them from coming true. The opposite of self-fulfilled prophecy. I often place my predictions in 'white on white' text so that most browsers will make the text disappear completely. All you have to do is highlight the hidden text by selecting and you can read it clearly. In the olden days, when I cared enough, I had a lot of fun adding a sentence or two to the end of a post. They often would have embarrassed a certain reviler person who, under multiple disguises, couldn't help but bring up my name to cause some kind of dissension every few days. But then at the last minute I always decided it would be more Christian not to point them out, but some of the "hidden text" is still posted and can even show up in the site-search tool.

4 hours ago, George88 said:

Arguing about why I should explain myself to someone when they can't even tell the difference is simply silly.

It is truly disheartening that you should have to do this, particularly for one who displays before all his lack of Bible education, thereby showing he should not stray from the Closed Club where all the other wayward Witnesses are, particularly a certain ex-Bethelite. Nonetheless, I appreciate the definitions. Thank you. 

Nine different subfields of ‘theology!’ And the thing is, you can doubtless earn degrees in each one! I’ll bet our guys at HQ don’t hold even one of them. No wonder they don’t like us roaming around online. They’re just jealous.

4 hours ago, Many Miles said:

You asked for it. So you got it.

It may be all as you say with rationality. I’ll have to give it more thought.

You must excuse me. My head is swimming after hearing the Great Courses philosophy professor, who seems bent on atheism, lecture on how you know you are you. He considers numerical identity over time, psychological identity over time, and finds logical problems with each one. Well, maybe the problem is our definition of what is a person, he says. Maybe a person is like an interstate highway that if you were anywhere on it you could say this is you. In other words, you are not just one point in time, you are a road that goes many diverse places. ‘But!’ he says, seemingly for the 2 millionth time, ‘There’s a problem! Unlike an actual highway which is laid down, the highway that is you will continue to be laid down until you die. Thus, it would seem that, under this hypothesis, you are not you until you die, and that doesn’t square with our intuition.

But! that problem is solved if we adhere to temporal omniscience, that is the notion that every moment of time, even the ones that are yet in the future, are already laid out somewhere. But!, he refers back to previous inconsistencies revealed when he discussed that burning topic of philosophy, so it can’t be that either. Well— maybe the entire notion of what is a person is wrong, he says, and goes off to explore that possibility.

Most of these points are illustrated with various Star Trek or Dr. Who episodes, many involving the transporter, which is also used to indicate problems with any resurrection solution such as is common in religion.

It is probably a good idea when you encounter someone like this in field service to wish him a good day and return to your car group, where the one next to you will make his quip for the umpteenth time that you are taking a great risk if you are cremated because what if you are resurrected on a windy day? This is a little tiresome, but infinitely preferable to the brother in the front seat who intones in his radio voice, “Friends, do you have bills to pay? You do? Well, please give it back. Bill’s head is getting cold.”

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.